The Lieutenant Asa Stevens Chapter, NSDAR, was named for an American Patriot who was killed during the Wyoming Massacre. The chapter was organized on November 19, 1921, by Jennie Stevens Neiley. She was Lt. Stevens' great-great granddaughter and the Organizing Regent. The chapter was unique in that all seventeen charter members were lineal descendants of Lt. Asa Stevens in a direct male line.
A lineage pin with the family coat of arms was designed by J.E. Caldwell & Co. (now Hamilton Jewelers) for the members who are descendants of Lt. Asa Stevens. This company has been the official jeweler to the National Society DAR since 1892.
Lt. Asa Stevens came from Connecticut in 1772 and settled in the Wyoming Valley. He received his commission as Lieutenant in the Wilkes-Barre Company. He was in the active service of the colonists during the Wyoming Massacre, in which he was killed on July 3, 1778.
A son, Jonathan, also a soldier in the American Revolution, came to Bradford County, Pennsylvania in 1805. He eventually settled in Standing Stone, Pennsylvania, where most of his descendants reside. Jonathan held many important offices in the state and county. At one time he was Associate Judge of Bradford County.
August 8, 1929, the Pennsylvania Historical Commission erected a marker on the Standing Stone Methodist Church lawn to commemorate the 150th anniversary of General Sullivan’s encampment on the site and his march to Tioga, Pennsylvania. The site is directly across the river from the Standing Stone Rock, which was used as a landmark and travel guide as early as 1774. The Lt. Asa Stevens Chapter, NSDAR, was asked to sponsor the program. Music was furnished by descendants of Lt. Asa Stevens and the marker was unveiled by two of his great-great-great grandsons.
On October 5, 1929, the chapter was again invited to participate in dedicating another marker at Lime Hill. This was to commemorate the life of Joseph Elliott, a survivor of the Wyoming Massacre.
Augusta Stevens Marshall presented the chapter with a hammered silver pitcher. This was made in London in 1777, and was placed in the Towanda Historical Society Building for safe keeping.
In 1970, the chapter received a certificate from the National Society for a 42.1% increase in membership.
In 1971, we celebrated our 50th anniversary with six charter members being honored.
We have endeavored to fulfill the chapter's objectives of historical preservation, to promote education, and to encourage patriotism in our communities.
In June 1975, the chapter had twenty-nine members. All members had become very active as a part of the membership drive, which brought seventeen new members into the chapter. We were proud to go from twelve to twenty-nine. Today, we have several two and three generation families in our chapter.
Old English records indicate that the Stevens family was originally located in the Shire of Gloucester and are listed in the Hundred Rolls of 1273.The Stevens family gained prominence when Thomas Stevens, an eminent lawyer during the reign of James I (1603-1635), became Attorney General.
One of the early settlers bearing the name of Stevens was John Stevens of Oxfordshire, who settled in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1638. His grandson, Ebenezer, was one of the patriots who took an active part in the Boston Tea Party of 1773. Ebenezer Stevens later served in the battles of Ticonderoga and in the Virginia Campaign.
Early American historical records indicate the prominent part members of this family played in the development of our nation. Their descendants can be found throughout the United States today and are well represented in the arts and professions as well as in the world of business.
The Mosaic was completed in Italy in 1900. It was placed in the Universalist Church at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in August of 1900, at a cost of $650.00. In 1919, the Universalist Church at Wilkes-Barre closed its doors.
Marion and Lillian Storrs were visiting family in Wilkes-Barre and attended the church service at the Universalist Church when the pastor announced that the church was going to close. After the service, Marion and Lillian asked the pastor what the plans were for the Mosaic. The ladies explained what their interest was and why they wanted to move the Mosaic to the Universalist Church in Standing Stone. They left their address with the pastor and the pastor said he would notify them when a decision had been made.
In August, Marion and Lillian Storrs received a letter. The congregation had voted and decided that if Marion and Lillian would pay to have the Mosaic removed from the wall, put in a crate, and make the shipping arrangements with the railroad, that they would give the Mosaic to the Standing Stone Universalist Church. Marion and Lillian were very happy with the decision. The next day, Marion and Lillian made arrangements to have the front wall in the Standing Stone Universalist Church reinforced with steel beams. The next week, Marion and Lillian traveled to Wilkes Barre to make arrangements for crating and transporting this beautiful Mosaic to Standing Stone.
In September 1919, the Mosaic arrived at Standing Stone on a railroad car. A team of four oxen and two open hay wagons carried the Mosaic to the Universalist Church. Men from miles around came to help lift this Mosaic into its place. The window closest to the Mosaic was completely taken out. The Mosaic was turned on its side and lifted through the window. After the removal of the shipping material, the Mosaic was lifted into place. The Mosaic weighs one and a half tons and is fifteen feet high. It is supported on the wall by railroad spikes.
After making sure that the Mosaic was secure, Marion and Lillian Storrs wrapped the mosaic with three large American flags. They put three separate cords, one on each side, and one in the middle so when the dedication took place, the flags would fall at the same time.
On Sunday, December 14, 1919, at 2:30 p.m., the unveiling of the mosaic took place. Marion and Lillian Storrs dedicated this beautiful Mosaic in Honor of Lt. Asa Stevens. The three great-great-great-grandsons of Lt. Asa Stevens unveiled the Mosaic. They were: Nelson Perry Stevens, son of Charles S. & Minnie Donley Stevens; Ralph Lee Stevens, son of Fred K. & Edna Beamen Stevens and Lincoln Abraham Neiley, son of Jerome B. and Jennie Stevens Neiley.
All of the boys were eight years old at the time of the unveiling. Special music was provided by Charles S. Stevens, playing the violin, and his daughters, Alice I. Stevens (French) at the pump organ, and Ada H. Stevens (McNeal) at the Cello.
The Standing Stone Universalist Church is now called the Standing Stone Community Vesper Church.