The Colonel Hugh White Chapter, NSDAR was founded on January 19, 1895, by a group of thirteen local women and chartered April 25, 1895. Originally called “Eagle,” the chapter changed the name in recognition of the services performed by Colonel Hugh White, an ancestor of one of the chapter members, Isabella White Hipple. Colonel White, born in Dauphin County in 1737, settled west of the mouth of Pine Creek before the Revolutionary War. Commissioned a Captain in 1776 of a “Company of Foot Soldiers in the 1st Battalion of Associations in the County of Northumberland” he proved to be a valuable officer in Washington’s Army and was advanced to the rank of Colonel.
During the month of October 1921, Marie Chatham Philips held a meeting at the Cedars near McElhattan for the purpose of organizing a DAR chapter. Fourteen women in the area were eligible for membership, and on July 29, 1922, met at Mrs. Philip’s home to organize. Most members were descendants of Colonel John Chatham for whom the chapter was named. However, none joined on his record, but traced their lines to Brigadier General John Philip DeHaas. The chapter was chartered on August 1, 1923. Colonel John Chatham served in the Revolutionary War, listed under the 7th Company, one of eight companies in the 2nd Battalion, Northumberland County Militia.
These two chapters merged April 17, 1995, to be known as Colonel Hugh White-Colonel John Chatham Chapter, NSDAR located in Lock Haven, Clinton County, PA.